As time has gone on and I've been slowly working on a few of the Snoring Ninja projects I've been able to reflect on the fact that when we switched hosting we chose not to bring a forum over. Throughout this, I've also visited regularly the same few forums that I always have and it has made me miss having one for the Snoring Ninja community.
With that being said, I do think that I'll be reviving a forum in the near future - the main thing right now is picking the forum software that is right for me. So far this is what my thought process has looked like:
- I'm still a big fan of Flarum, but not as much of a fan when it comes to PHP
- I also like Discourse, but it's a resource hog
- NodeBB looks interesting and doesn't require PHP
- SMF requires PHP, but I also have a ton of experience using it
- Something custom
- would be a time sink to create and maintain
As you can see, there are numerous options, and there are pros and cons to each choice. Once I have decided on which software to go with, the forums will be back and will be dedicated to our projects as well as general programming chat.
Hope to see you all there in the near future!